Wednesday 9 January 2013

The Harmless Interview

Me and Barry sat down and compiled this interview on the release of Balefire's album 'On The Road To Redemption'



The Balefire Blog
Pete:         Well it’s finally out there, the Balefire CD so I’m gonna ask Barry some questions, just a few things that pop into my head, nothing too heavy, I mean I’m not the Spanish inquisition or the social or nuffink!

So then, er, Baz!  Bazza!  Barrington!  Sir Barrington De La Amermy… if you don’t mind me calling you that, how does it feel after all this time to be putting a record out again at long last, I mean you’ve certainly kept those punky ole Infa fans waiting aint ya?

Barry:       Yeah! It’s mad Peteybabes me ole mucker! As ya know I’m a bit of a recording geek.  It was the one thing I really enjoyed when I was in Infa Riot all those years ago.  Before the Infas when I was 14 or so, I virtually lived with the upstarts in Wood Green and me and a few others were invited to Air Studios in London to do some backing vocals on the ‘2 Million Voices’ album and I was hooked big time.  Incidentally, did ya know the Upstarts song ‘Out of Control’ was about me? 

Pete:         Yes! At least fifty times!

Barry:       I was sitting watching TV with Mensi one day drinking a bottle of vodka, talking about how shit school was and he said (in his big geordie accent) ‘I’m gonna write a fucking song about ya!’ The only problem was he could not find a word that rhymed with vodka so it got changed to gin.

Pete:         I know, you told me ya chimp!  You’ve talked to me a lot about Mensi, seems you had a lot of time for him back in the day so how come you lost touch?  He seems to have lost the plot a bit over the years and now has an unexplained pathological hatred for my old band Retaliator, it seems the merest mention of our name brings on convulsions and frothing at the mouth! I actually thought the Upstarts were a cracking band, I love their first three albums and have nothing but respect for the bloke’s early music, oh well you can’t please everyone can ya!

Barry:       I did like Mensi, he was a real larger than life character, straight to the point, no bullshit and as funny as hell. We all drifted apart years ago for whatever reason, ya know how it is.  He once barred me from his house because my hair got too long and he said I looked like a girl, so I got a number one and every fucker in school thought I had head lice.  It’s a shame he feels the way he does about Retaliator. He will freak out when he finds out we have been working together, but I reckon he will like the album.  He was very supportive when I told him I wanted to start a band all those years ago. If it wasn’t for Mensi; Infa Riot would not have existed! (Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing!)  We spent a lot of time touring with the Exploited as well and you can imagine what that was like....Fucking mental! And I was only 17!

Pete:         You’ve told me quite a few Mensi stories and they always make me laugh, it must have been a mad time for you being so young.  You mention the Exploited who in my opinion are one of the best punk bands of all time.  We gigged with ‘em on a few occasions and it was fucking brilliant and to hear Wattie dedicate ‘UK82’ to Retaliator made my fucking week! Another larger than life character and a top geezer if you ask me. Funny enough a mate of mine knows Wattie really well and tells me Wattie stories just like you tell me Mensi stories and again they always make me laugh.  Seems this scene has its fair share of madmen and real characters.  

                 So how was it working with little ole me as opposed to Gods of Oi! Like the Wilson brothers?     

Barry:       I loved every minute of it mate! It was heart 'n' soul instead of arse 'n' hole if ya know what I mean. Ha! Ha! (Sorry boys wherever you are).  I want it on record that it was ME who started Infa Riot even though Lee wilson took over and the Wilsons got all the credit.  Me and Floyd were school mates and I knew Lee from the Lordship pub. Lee couldn’t sing and Floyd couldn’t play a single note on the bass and to be honest, come the second album not much had changed.

Pete:         Tut tut! Those naughty ole Wilsons!  I heard one of ‘em met an untimely end when he was washed overboard on Tom Hank’s raft in a desperate bit to escape a desert island they’d been stranded on!  A very sad end to an 80’s icon, I know Tom Hanks was fucking distraught!

Barry:       Raft?.... That’s funny I heard it was Tom Hanks shaft.

Pete:         So are you happy with the CD?  Do you actually like the songs or was it just something to do? 

Barry:       Something to do? I used to walk a 6 mile round trip a day for this. (Too much alcohol to drive!) I love these songs and I’m more than happy with the cd.

Pete:         Yeah me to, it’s so different to anything else I’ve done before but I still reckon it’s got bollocks and passion!  People are really struggling to categorise it which suits me fine.  I mean ‘The Pub From Hell’ started out as a bit of a psychobilly thing and ended up something else entirely, in fact they all ended up being well different to what was in mind at the beginning, they kinda evolved into something really different which can only be your input.  I mean had they of gone through the Retaliator mill, they’d have come out as pure Retaliator songs, but this stuff goes somewhere completely different and I really like that.

Barry:       I think people will have trouble trying to pigeon hole this album.  I see it as a mix of a lot of things. Someone told me it reminded them of early blockheads, another said On ‘Senlac Hill’ sounded like it could be a Metallica song.  I like that kind of feedback. A young lad I know who loves his R&B and rap told me ‘The Pub from Hell’ and ‘Headfuck’ are "wicked" tunes.    

Pete:         Metallica?  Can’t really see that myself but it’s a good complement all the same and that’s the important thing. I REALLY want people to like this album, it’s real important to me, it’s like starting over again from scratch, forget twelve years in Retaliator, four albums etc, this is sink or swim time, redemption or condemnation!  I just hope people are open minded enough to give this album a few spins before judging it out of hand as being too different.  I think it’s a cracking little album and I’ll always be proud of it. It was certainly a bit different for me though, not the normal process of recording.  This was really quite technical stuff, I mean drumming overdubs etc make the drum lines sound fuller, keyboards and harmony vocals for fuck’s sake! What’s it all about? I certainly learned a lot of shit working with you!  …I’ve already forgotten most of it but hey ho! 

Barry:       As ya know mate I’ve had a lot of musical instruments and equipment for years and I’ve learned a lot. But this album is the first thing I’ve done with full-on drums, guitar, bass, vocals ect...since Infa Riot. Just you wait for our next album; I’m gonna blow ya Matalan socks off!

Pete:         Yeah I’m certainly warming to the idea of a full-length album, I just hope the punters will be!

Barry:       I think so mate, cos we aint trying to copy anyone else.

Pete:         No we certainly aint!  Do you think enough alcohol was consumed whilst working on this cd or did the music get in the way a bit?

Barry:       I can’t remember I was too pissed at the time.

Pete:         Weren’t you nearly on Top of the Pops back in the day or was that just a vicious rumour?

Barry:       Yeah! This is true, we were only a couple of thousand away from joining the ranks of the Upstarts and the Exploited.
I remember Lee Wilson getting his eyebrows plucked and fake tan for the big day, but it never happened.

Pete:         Now that IS a real shame, when we did it the crowd went crazy ape bonkers and smashed the place up, but it was agreed that it wasn’t our fault for being so great so we all went down the pub and Holly Willerby got completely wankered and puked all over Ian!

Barry:       Ahh! the georgeous Holly, I would use her shit for toothpaste. Tell Ian I wanna lick his T-shirt.

Pete:         I’ll mention it to him but I can’t really see him being overly happy about it mate! 

                 Hang about!  It might have been Wally Hillerby now ya mention it!  Or was it Willy Hollerby?  Hilly Wallerby?

                 Do you have a favourite song on the album?

Barry:       No! I have three!  ‘On Senlac Hill’, Headfuck, and ‘A Hard Rain’ in that order!

Pete:         Yeah I love ‘On Senlac Hill’, incidentally I meant to dedicate it to the ‘1066 Saxons’ (local scooter club of my adopted new home town Hastings) along with King Harold, but being a useless twat I forgot!  Sorry chaps if any of you are reading this!

                 So how does this stuff compare to the Infa Riot stuff in your opinion?

Barry:       This is what I wanted Infa Riot to sound like. I’m more proud of this than anything I ever did with them.  I Wish I was sixteen  again. (Ya know my eldest son Andrew is older now than I was when I was in the Infas) Fuck! I’m old!

Pete:         You certainly are!

Barry:       Just like to point out here that we are the same age mate. Thank you very much!

Pete:         Pah! 

Do you reckon you’d ever get Infa Riot off the ground again?

Barry:       Big no no!  The Wilsons are/were big money boys now (good luck to ‘em.) Floyd has a big building company and as far as I know lee is still in antiques. Aint seen or spoke to them for years. But there’s one thing I wanna know.....Is the rumour true that Lee came home early one day from work and caught Floyd shagging his missus???  Answers on a postcard and all that!

Pete:         Ah so no third album then! But just say there was gonna be a new album, what name would you do it under…Infa Riot?  The Infa’s or just plane ole ‘Inf?’  Just a thought.       

Barry:       Definitely Infa Riot, we never changed the name of the band it was all down to our record company following the trouble at Acklam Hall ect...  I think we all knew it was the end of the line for us when they insisted we call ourselves the Infas (this was Mensi's nickname for us) for the second album.

Pete:         Ok, Well that just about wraps that up. We’ve talked enough bollocks for one blog! I’ll see you up the bar for a daiquiri old bean!  Toodle pip and all that old caper!

Barry:       Ok Sir Pete, over and out!

Pete:         Excellent!  Job done, all you need to do now is pass me my little rucksack, I’m off to Paul’s to do a poo!

Barry:       Ok mate I’m off to Holly's with me toothbrush!

No comments:

Post a Comment